Responsible To: Clinical Care Supervisor and Executive Director
Position Summary: As a member of the Kamloops Hospice Team, this individual, a Registered Health Care Assistant, preferably with palliative care experience, provides direct care to patients and families under the guidance of the Registered/Licensed Practical Nurse. The Health Care Assistant will work as part of the clinical team to provide excellence in palliative care in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards.
- In association with other team members, provides high quality hospice/palliative care for patients and their families.
- Provides direct personal care related to patient hygiene, nutrition and elimination.
- Assists with safe patient ambulation, lifting and positioning in accordance with appropriate policies and procedures.
- Consulting/collaborating with other health care professionals within the Hospice team.
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation.
- Being a positive role model for other staff, patients and families.
- Active role in upkeep of Hospice Home – e.g. Laundry, meal preparation, cleaning.
- Assuming other related duties as assigned by the Nurse and/or Clinical Care Supervisor.
- Completed Health Care Assistant course.
- Preference given to those flexible for day shifts, nights, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Knowledge about, and committed to, the Hospice philosophy of care.
- Preference will be given to individuals with hospice/palliative care experience.
- Must be willing to participate in educational advancement within the palliative care field.
- Availability to actively participate in team meetings and quality improvement activities.
- Awareness of one’s own strengths and limitations in emotionally sensitive situations and ability to react calmly and effectively.
- Ability to represent the Hospice in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to be flexible, work well in a new and changing environment and promote progressive and innovative thinking as well as team based care.
- Have knowledge of, and be sensitive to religious, ethnic and cultural diversity.
- Must have good communication skills both verbally and non-verbally and the ability to deal with people in crisis in a mature and non-judgemental manner.
- Must have the ability to maintain a feeling of peace and comfort in the Hospice Home.
To apply, submit resume to Janice Weeks, Clinical Supervisor